VIP722K Receiver Freeze/Restart

Post any questions that you may have about your DISH receiver here.

Re: VIP722K Receiver Freeze/Restart

Postby LailaS » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:25 am

DannyM wrote:Was surprised to find so many people having this issue with the VIP722K freezing and rebooting. My issue started several months ago but only happens when I attempt to watch some recorded shows. I end up having to delete the recorded show and I"m good until it happens again. I recorded a show last night and when attempting to watch it this morning, it gets part way through and freezes and then restarts. Have attempted to watch the show about 6 times and finally give up. Almost sounds like a bad spot on the hard drive, if it has one. I've a lot of recorded shows that I need to watch, thinking of watching what I can and just dropping Dish for something else, unless they have a way of saving my recordings which I don't think they do. This issue sure does get old, I'm tired of it happening.

This issue can be caused by the receiver being stuck in recovery mode or is overheating. Have you checked all the cable connections to ensure that they are tightly secured? Also, is the receiver plugged directly into a wall outlet or through a surge protector?
Laila S.
Social Media Representative
Tuesday - Saturday 6:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. MST
LailaS

Postby peggyrh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Suggest you transfer your recordings to an external hard drive before you lose them, the 722 might need to be replaced (yes, it has a hard drive & on an older dvr like the 722 it can go bad).
The ability to move recordings to an EHD has been available for years.
Peggyrh
H3/J2/WJ
peggyrh

Postby DannyM » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Yes, I've checked all connections, all are good. The DVR is plugged into a surge protector, has been for years and doesn't appear to have any extra heat on/in/around it. I can watch just about all my recordings without issues, just watched a couple more today. I just went back to last night show and attempted to watch it again, and the issue occurred again. Just for this one show. I'll eventually give up and delete it as I usually do when this issue occurs, I just hate giving up. It'll eventually happen again, probably when I record to the same area on the hard drive.
How do I move everything to an external hard drive? I'm tech savvy and have several external hard drives attached to my PC, I can use one of them. I can also Google it and see what I can find but would be nice to save everything off before I lose it all or have to replace the DVR.
DannyM

Postby Chris S. » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Check out our hard drive requirements here: https://www.mydish.com/external-hard-drive.

We do suggest you plug the receiver directly into a wall outlet to see if this resolves your issue.
Chris S.
Social Media Representative
11:00AM-10:00PM MT Tue/Fri/Sat OFF
Chris S.

Postby DannyM » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:40 pm

The receiver is plugged straight into a wall outlet and still have same issue. I'm able to watch other recorded shows, just not this one show that was recorded Tuesday night. Wouldn't know how plugging into a wall outlet would have helped, but I tried it anyway. Sure looks like a bad spot on the hard drive. I've not attempted to backup my recordings yet to an external hard drive, I don't even see where this is possible in the menu anywhere.
DannyM

Postby peggyrh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Peggyrh
H3/J2/WJ
peggyrh

Previous

Return to DISH Receiver Support