New Customer Poor HD

Post any questions that you may have about your DISH receiver here.

New Customer Poor HD

Postby jimall66 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Just switched from Comcast to Dish. Very disappointed with HD receprion compared to prior. Images appear out of focus and fuzzy on all HD channels. We like to watch sports and images are almost unwatchable if not closeups. In any image like full court in Basketball for instance, players faces are unreconizable.
Had Dish tech over yesterday and he could not fix even though he acknowledged my issue. His best idea was to not stand so close to my tv!!!!
Is this really what I will be seeing for the next 2 years?
jimall66

Re: New Customer Poor HD

Postby Chadt4141 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Which receiver do you have? How is it connected to the TV?
I do not work for DISH, and all posts are made based on experience. EMPLOYEEs names only show in GREEN.
PM a mod for account specific answers.
Your friendly everyday guy, I AM CHAD!
Chadt4141

Postby hddn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm

Hard to say with few details. For example how close were you standing when he suggested not standing so close? And how big is the display? There is always a "too close".

Of course there are all kinds of other possibilities too like having the resolution set wrong and TV settings. For example, high frame rate/motion smoothing settings generally give me the impression that people's faces turn to mush when they move their heads.
hddn

Postby jimall66 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Chadt4141 wrote:Which receiver do you have? How is it connected to the TV?

Thank you Chadt4141
I have the Hopper 3 connected via gold plated HDMI to my 70" HD Sharp Aquos. The HDMI does switch through my Yamaha amp. The tech and I tried other cables and bypassed the amp with no improvement in picture.
jimall66

Postby jimall66 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:36 pm

hddn wrote:Hard to say with few details. For example how close were you standing when he suggested not standing so close? And how big is the display? There is always a "too close".

Of course there are all kinds of other possibilities too like having the resolution set wrong and TV settings. For example, high frame rate/motion smoothing settings generally give me the impression that people's faces turn to mush when they move their heads.

Hi hddn,
Display is 70" Sharp HD.
The tech and I were standing just a few feet from the display, closer than I watch, but not an unreasonable distance. The display is 240 hz. and has worked just fine in the past. The tech found all the settings in the Hopper 3 to his satifaction. The images are blurred/fuzzy even when there is no or little movement.

This is exactly the configuration used in the past with Charter cable.
jimall66

Postby stile99 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 am

In that case, the tech was most likely correct.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-xbOvVswvyIO/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

Screen size Viewing distance range for 1080p HDTVs

70" 8.75-14.6 feet

That said, Dish definitely does overcompress, no question there.
stile99

Return to DISH Receiver Support