External Hard Drive (EHD) Problems Hopper 3

Have questions about our new Whole-Home DVR service? Find answers to your Hopper and Joey questions here.

Re: External Hard Drive (EHD) Problems Hopper 3

Postby JRTStarlight » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:15 pm

So, often when transferring more than one item to my EHD, it will get hung up mid process. There is apparently no way to clear this. I can't transfer other shows or even access the EHD while it's hung up like that. The only thing that might work is unplugging it and then plugging it back in. You get warning messages (you have (dis)connected an external media device "OK"? or some such.

But when I just plugged it back in, it doesn't see my EHD. Maybe I need to reset the Hopper while the EHD is plugged in, but what a pain, and that would interrupt all recordings currently taking place, so I have to wait for hours.

Mostly, I want to know why this happens so frequently when transferring multiple items. And what the prescribe method is to handle it when the EHD gets hung up like that. Thanks.

There is still two choice - "Watch TV" or "Stop" but the "Stop" doesn't actually do anything.
JRTStarlight

Postby JRTStarlight » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Oh, and before anyone asks, this EHD is a WD MyBook and conforms to all DISH parameters. That HDMI cable is fine, it is plugged into the 2.0 USB port, and I'm doing everything correctly.

The EHD normally works. Well, I do often have to tell it twice to play a show off the EHD, but it does eventually play it, even if sits and thinks forever after the first request and I have to make the request a second time.

Multi item transfers are just problematic. I have never had an issue transferring items one at a time, of course, but that takes more work, more time, and it's bothersome. But when transferring even two movies does it, it either ask and hope they fix it, or limit yourself in single item transfers forever.
JRTStarlight

Postby JRTStarlight » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 pm

When the EHD hangs like that, it worries me a great deal every time that I may be losing the entire contents of the EHD. Bad enough I wonder if one or more of the items I tried to transfer became corrupt during the interrupted process, but when the EHD doesn't come back after a reset, a sickening feeling washing over you. The better part of 2Tb programs, gone?

This time, I had to reset the Hopper twice, but on the second reset, the EHD icon reappeared.

I should just suffer and forever transfer programs one at a time to avoid this known transfer hang up glitch. Hateful, but it's about the best option left to me at this point.
JRTStarlight

Previous

Return to Hopper and Joey