Does the satellite dish need to be grounded?

Check out our product support threads to find answers to any questions you may have about your Sling Adapter, Tailgater or any other DISH product.

Does the satellite dish need to be grounded?

Postby TheVillagesGuy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:25 pm

The installer did not ground any part of the system, here in Florida. When I asked him if it needed to be grounded, he said no.

Thoughts?
TheVillagesGuy

Re: Does the satellite dish need to be grounded?

Postby BrianL » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:39 pm

Even though there is a very small amount of power at the dish, it should still be grounded. This can actually contribute to a signal loss problem as it can collect static charges. Please reach out in a Private Message with either the phone number or account number, and 4 digit Security PIN# so I can get a technician out to resolve this. -Brian L-
BrianL

Postby TheVillagesGuy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:54 pm

BrianL wrote:Even though there is a very small amount of power at the dish, it should still be grounded. This can actually contribute to a signal loss problem as it can collect static charges. Please reach out in a Private Message with either the phone number or account number, and 4 digit Security PIN# so I can get a technician out to resolve this. -Brian L-

Does grounding help with lightning strikes or is that just a myth? Is grounding just for the static charge?

I just ordered a grounding rod and wire.....to be safe.

Not big on giving out my acct # and pin on the Internet.
TheVillagesGuy

Postby BrianL » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:13 pm

As I am not an installer, so I don't know, but I would say better to be safe just in case.

I can understand the concerns on security, hence the Private Message. If you prefer, please contact us by phone at 1-800-333-3474 to address this, as it does need to be grounded correctly. -Brian L-
BrianL

Postby diandee » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:44 am

according to code yes it does. the dish needs to be grounded to the house ground rod below the service panel. the dish can be struck by lightning and it will take out your equipment if it does. it happened to me!
diandee

Postby JessS » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:32 am

TheVillagesGuy our technician installed a Ground Block not a rod in the ground, this is requirement to the installation. This is a device used to connect coax cable to an electrical ground.

Grounding provides a path for unwanted electrical surge or interference to travel. National Electrical Code (NEC) stipulates that any line that enters a structure, such as coax cable, that also carries a current must be grounded. Both cable and telephone systems carry an outside current into the structure while satellite systems bring a current from inside the structure out to power the LNBF (DISH antenna).

Do a google search for Holland, Ground Block, Dual w/ 2 Ground Lugs HF UL, it is DISH approved, this way you can identify this piece in your installation. If you rather set up an appointment please use one of these methods to contact us privately https://www.mydish.com/support/contact.
JessS.
JessS

Postby TheVillagesGuy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:23 am

JessS wrote:TheVillagesGuy our technician installed a Ground Block not a rod in the ground, this is requirement to the installation. This is a device used to connect coax cable to an electrical ground.

Grounding provides a path for unwanted electrical surge or interference to travel. National Electrical Code (NEC) stipulates that any line that enters a structure, such as coax cable, that also carries a current must be grounded. Both cable and telephone systems carry an outside current into the structure while satellite systems bring a current from inside the structure out to power the LNBF (DISH antenna).

Do a google search for Holland, Ground Block, Dual w/ 2 Ground Lugs HF UL, it is DISH approved, this way you can identify this piece in your installation. If you rather set up an appointment please use one of these methods to contact us privately https://www.mydish.com/support/contact.

Thx Jess. Yes, the ground block is there.....but there is no ground wire running from it to anything. The only thing coming out of it is the coax cable straight to the receiver. I need to run a ground wire to somewhere.....either 20 feet to a ground rod or 100 feet around the house to the electrical panel ground.
TheVillagesGuy

Postby ZZV43701 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:32 pm

hx Jess. Yes, the ground block is there.....but there is no ground wire running from it to anything. The only thing coming out of it is the coax cable straight to the receiver. I need to run a ground wire to somewhere.....either 20 feet to a ground rod or 100 feet around the house to the electrical panel ground.

Code requires ONE central, common ground. Several years ago when phone and/pr/ cable had their own separate ground rods they went around and removed them and ran ground back to the house ground. (in MY area) . Dish's ground wire is not very big - 12 or 14ga. It connects at the splitter outside as well.

FWIW _ new home installation require multiple ground rods or approved re-bar ground systems.
ZZV43701

Postby salyardsjp » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:14 pm

Article 820, Section IV of the 2014 National Electrical Code shows grounding for CATV installations. specifically:

820.100 "The shield of the coaxial cable shall be bonded or grounded as specified in 820.100 (A) through (D)"
salyardsjp

Return to DISH Product Support