Internet... Off peak vs Anytime

Check out our product support threads to find answers to any questions you may have about your Sling Adapter, Tailgater or any other DISH product.

Internet... Off peak vs Anytime

Postby kphutch » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:53 am

I've just completed my 6th month as a Dish subscriber...TV & Internet. For the most part things have gone really well. However, I'm still trying to get a grasp of the data usage. We struggle to stay under the 15 GB monthly cap, so we try to utilize the 2am - 8am period for off peak usage. We do a lot of our downloading in the 6am - 8am time period.

Our monthly billing period just ended two nights ago at midnight. I still had 2 GB left for the month to use, so I downloaded some things and streamed a few videos in the last hour before midnight (11pm - 12am). I was very surprised to wake up yesterday morning at 7am and see that our anytime data total already showed 14.6 GB remaining.

Somehow, Dish had determined that we had used 400MB of data in the 2 hours from the end of our billing period (midnight) and the beginning of the off peak period (2 am). I checked my PC to see if any updates had been downloaded in some way...which it had not.

So I called Dish, and the rep informed me that the modem has a lag of up to an hour before it logs usage! Is this true? If so, this would mean that the downloading I do in the morning in the 7am - 8am time period is actually being logged as anytime rather than off peak.

This would help explain how we can use up so much data from simply surfing and reading email.

I'd really appreciate if someone could let me know EXACTLY how the system works.

Thank you
kphutch

Re: Internet... Off peak vs Anytime

Postby Matt G » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:59 am

Hey there! For any assistance with our internet we will need you to call 1-800-333-3474 as we cannot assist here.
Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media Representative
6am-3pm MT M-F
Matt G

Return to DISH Product Support