Hopper 3 has more tuners but supports fewer TVs than Hopper?

Check out our product support threads to find answers to any questions you may have about your Sling Adapter, Tailgater or any other DISH product.

Hopper 3 has more tuners but supports fewer TVs than Hopper?

Postby dmazza » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:05 pm

I am a long time DISH Customer that currently has 2 Hopper w/slings and 6 Joeys, for a total of 8 rooms with TVs. Recently DISH pushed out an upgrade to the User Interface. This is the same/similar interface used by the Hopper3. Unfortunately, this interface does not run well on the Hopper/Joey. It has several second lag, menus paint real slow and there are bugs in the Joey/Netflix interface (Netflix ID not remembered and only SD being broadcast). I worked with DISH tech support, basically rebooting equipment, but there was no progress. I asked if there was any way to fallback to the prior user interface that was not slow and worked well with Netflix, but was told this was not possible.

I called today to ask about upgrading to Hopper3 and was shocked to find out that Hopper 3 can only support up to 6 TVs, with a Hopper3 and 5 Joeys. DISH published literature states Hopper3 supports up to 7 TVs, as 6 Joeys can be attached, but customer support indicated the config tool they use only allows for 5 Joeys. In either case, I was told that there is no way to support 8 TVs with a Hopper3. For now, Hopper3 is not an option and the performance and bugs now on the updated interface on the Hopper is not acceptable.

Assuming the limit with the Hopper3 is 6/7 TVs today, are there any plans to support the same number of TVs the prior generation of equipment supported? I know the Hopper3 has lots of enhancements that I would appreciate, but it seems very strange that DISH would take away capability/functionality when moving to a new generation of hardware and software.
dmazza

Re: Hopper 3 has more tuners but supports fewer TVs than Hop

Postby Mike H. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:32 pm

If you want to get a 6+ room install for the Hopper 3 we can get that done for you. It will require a call into a specific office to get it set up. If you want to PM me with the phone number on the account I can help get this started for you.
Mike H.
Social Media Representative
Sunday-Thursday 6:00 AM-2:30 PM MST
Mike H.

Return to DISH Product Support