Homeplug vs. other powerline adapter?

Check out our product support threads to find answers to any questions you may have about your Sling Adapter, Tailgater or any other DISH product.

Homeplug vs. other powerline adapter?

Postby FrogFan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:53 am

Hello,

I have a 211 receiver. When the Tech installed it, he also installed a Homeplug adapter so that it would be connected to the internet. Sometime after that, I decided I wanted to install powerline adapters in my house to be able to have ethernet in every room. I discovered that the Homeplug the Tech installed would not communicate with the "standard" adapter I bought, so I decided to replace it with a standard adapter. Now I have ethernet everywhere in my house, which is good, but the 211 won't connect to the internet via the standard adapter, which maybe isn't so good.

I did a search but didn't find any related information. Does anyone here have any insight?

(BTW, I also have a 622 receiver that is connected to a phone line, and that seems adequate for whatever it needs.)

Thanks!
FrogFan

Re: Homeplug vs. other powerline adapter?

Postby Matt G » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:00 pm

ViP receivers have powerline technology built in so they do not need any of these. Have you tried bypassing this and connecting the receivers straight to the outlets and resetting the connection in the network setup menu?
Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media Representative
6am-3pm MT M-F
Matt G

Postby FrogFan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Thank you, Matt G.

My 211 has always been plugged directly into the electrical outlet. There are no ethernet cables connected to it. Before I installed my (TP-Link) powerline adapter, the Homeplug was plugged into the wall (in a different room from the 211) and connected to my router via ethernet. The 211 indicated that it had an internet connection.

When I replaced the Homeplug with the TP-Link, I checked the 211 and it was not connected. I think I followed procedures to try to connect it, but was unable to do so. If this is supposed to work, then I'll try to reconnect it again. There's always a chance I messed something up the last time I did this. Should I unplug the 211 and plug it back in to reset it before I mess around resetting the connection?

And, by the way, unless I'm misunderstanding you, there has to be a way to get ethernet into the powerlines in my house or the 211's onboard system won't work, right? That would require that some device be plugged into a wall outlet somewhere, and that my router be connected to it via ethernet. In my case, that device was formerly a Homeplug unit installed by the dish Tech, but is currently a TP-Link powerline adapter.

Thanks again for your help.
FrogFan

Postby Matt G » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Sorry for my confusion. The receivers have Homeplug technology built into them so a different powerlinle adapter brand may not work. All I can recommend is switching back to the Homeplug
6am-3pm MT M-F
Matt G

Postby FrogFan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:18 pm

No problem, Matt. Thanks for the information.

I don't think the Homeplug and my TP-Link can coexist, but probably someone here knows better than I do. If I go back to the Homeplug, I lose wired internet connectivity in my house, and I've gotten used to that. As long as it's not bothering the 211 to not be connected, I'll leave it unconnected.
FrogFan

Postby Matt G » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:19 pm

They likely cannot coexist. They both use the same powerlines in your home to transmit signal and probably interfere with each other
6am-3pm MT M-F
Matt G

Return to DISH Product Support