Caller ID not working on Hopper

Check out our product support threads to find answers to any questions you may have about your Sling Adapter, Tailgater or any other DISH product.

Caller ID not working on Hopper

Postby TonySR » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:34 pm

Have had the Dish network for 6 months and caller ID is still not operational on my Hopper or Joey. Called Tech support and they had me check all the settings, and I know that Caller ID is working on my phone line to the receiver. Can use some help on this issue.
TonySR

Re: Caller ID not working on Hopper

Postby Ray C. » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:26 pm

The Caller ID not displaying on some Hoppers is a known issue our engineers are investigating. Please PM me your receiver number so I can provide your information to our engineers. Thanks.

TonySR wrote:Have had the Dish network for 6 months and caller ID is still not operational on my Hopper or Joey. Called Tech support and they had me check all the settings, and I know that Caller ID is working on my phone line to the receiver. Can use some help on this issue.
Ray C.
Social Media Team
Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 6:00 AM to 2:30 PM MDT
Ray C.

Postby dmazza » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:37 pm

I too have been experiencing this problem. Last time caller ID was successfully recorded on the hopper was 5 months ago and I finally decided to figure out why. Tested the phone jack with a telephone and all is well both incoming (caller Id works) and outgoing calls. Also tried a 2nd phone connection (wire) on phone and hopper with same results. Hopper test for broadband passes but phone connection fails. Caller ID works correctly for a hopper w/sling on same account in different room using same phone line. Called support today but not certain I will hear back from them. I saw these posts and hoped there was a solution.
dmazza

Postby Andrew E. » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:48 am

I know it sounds like a strange question, but have you checked to make sure that your Caller ID feature has been turned on with this Hopper?
Andrew Eckert

Social Media Representative

Saturday - Tuesday 10:30am-9:30pm (MST)
Andrew E.

Postby dmazza » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:22 pm

Sorry, But I forgot to check box to get notified when a reply is posted. I just happened to check as the problem still persists and support has not been helpful.

Yes, the option for Caller ID is turned on. I have turned this off and on a few times, to see if it made any difference. I have also checked the phone line and caller ID is enabled. I do not have this issue on a Hopper w/Sling only on a Hopper. I have not had any caller id working on the Hopper for over 6 months but it continues to work fine on the Hopper w/Sling. Additionally, a recent software/firmware update from DISH for these devices wiped out the Caller ID history on the Hopper so it looks as if it has never worked.
dmazza

Postby dmazza » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:21 am

Another Update. I have done additional testing. I swapped the location of the Hopper that is not displaying caller ID with a Hopper w/Sling, where the caller ID is working. The Hopper does not display caller ID from either location, where the Hopper w/Sling works in both locations.

So, the issue is definitely with the Hopper. I see two possibilities:
1) Dish Update to Hopper that occurred after 6/30/14 broke this feature, or
2) The 'modem' on this particular Hopper has broken and needs to be replaced.

I actually suspect item #1 as the cause, for this reason. When I swapped the devices and on the Hopper went to Menu/Settings/Network/Tests and pressed Test Connection, the broadband connection test continues to run and update, but the phone test does not get performed. When the Hopper w/Sling is installed at that location, it tests both connections immediately and provides positive feedback. My guess is that a Hopper update modified this process. The Hopper is not aware that a phone line is connected so caller ID is not working. I guess one way to test this theory would be for Dish to send me a new device. Phone calls with support have not been very productive. Not sure how to get this addressed. Already frustrated with no Fox News, may time to get Uverse??
dmazza

Postby Andrew E. » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:39 pm

Go ahead and PM me with your account or phone number and your 4 digit PIN so we can get this looked at further.
Andrew Eckert

Saturday - Tuesday 10:30am-9:30pm (MST)
Andrew E.

Postby DONDONHO » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:42 am

I have the same problem with the new VIP612 DVR, 1 in the bedroom worked fine, the main one in the living room does not work. It actually, when connected to working phone line, disconnects my phone, no dial tone. That didn't happen in the bedroom where we don't need it. All 3 are new receivers. Any ideas?
DONDONHO

Postby Jason S » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:41 pm

DONDONHO wrote:I have the same problem with the new VIP612 DVR, 1 in the bedroom worked fine, the main one in the living room does not work. It actually, when connected to working phone line, disconnects my phone, no dial tone. That didn't happen in the bedroom where we don't need it. All 3 are new receivers. Any ideas?

I would say bad modem in the receiver or a bad piece of phone line. If you ache a spare piece of phone line to try to see if that resolves that would be great. If it continues after that, we will have to look at replacing that receiver because of the bad modem.
Jason Surber
Sunday - Wednesday 11:00 -10:00pm MST
Jason S

Postby DONDONHO » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Thank you, I did use brand new phone lines, had to try it all before asking, new filter also. Thanks again, Don.
DONDONHO

Next

Return to DISH Product Support