Contract increase with no verbal disclosure

Have questions about DISH Movie Pack? Check back here for support.

Contract increase with no verbal disclosure

Postby Conniejo25 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:52 pm

14 months ago, I added a Joey to my house and up graded my account. I WAS NOT informed this would reset my two year contract that had actually expired. I have now moved into government housing which does not allow satellite dishes or antennas of any kind. I am in a townhouse and cable cannot even be installed upstairs.
The first knowledge I had of the new contract was when I called to cancel service.
Not only was I shocked to be informed that there was still 10 months on my contract, but the lowest I can change the account to is a price that includes the hopper. I was, also, informed that I was obligated to read the contract that is shoved in front of me to sign when the installation was completed. It was also mentioned, but then denied, that I was required to be informed verbally when I called to add the Joey. All equipment in sitting in my closet unable to be used, but I am required to pay almost $40.00 a month for 10 months or buy out for $200 for an unknown contract extension.
So, basically, I am having all of these difficulties and being "taken" for money because I upgraded service. I have always been happy with DISH, but not only will I never use DISH again, but will discourage anyone else from using DISH.
Conniejo25

Re: Contract increase with no verbal disclosure

Postby Chadt4141 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Not just with Dish, but with anything that you have to sign, you should always read what you are signing, as your endorsement shows that you fully understand what you are agreeing to. Also, it is sent to you in email, as well. it comes in various forms.
I do not work for DISH, and all posts are made based on experience. EMPLOYEEs names only show in GREEN.
PM a mod for account specific answers.
Your friendly everyday guy, I AM CHAD!
Chadt4141

Postby Truffleshuffle03 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:52 am

Chadt4141 wrote:Not just with Dish, but with anything that you have to sign, you should always read what you are signing, as your endorsement shows that you fully understand what you are agreeing to. Also, it is sent to you in email, as well. it comes in various forms.
Well I understand where both of you are coming from but I will tell you a lot of the times when you sign at the end of installation you are just told by the guy that this is to show that everything is done and working and nothing is mentioned of anything else or at least that is what happened with me.
Truffleshuffle03

Postby Mike H. » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:42 am

When a prospective customer calls to get our DISH services, we will go over with them the programming, services and equipment they are getting.

In that call we flly disclose this will require a 24-month agreement for basic programming. We do not schedule the appointment unless they agree to it over the phone. When the install takes place they are not only agreeing to the work being completed and in working order, it's to finalize the verbal agreement to the 24-month commitment.
Mike H.
Social Media Representative
Sunday-Thursday 6:00 AM-2:30 PM MST
Mike H.

Postby Truffleshuffle03 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Mike H. wrote:When a prospective customer calls to get our DISH services, we will go over with them the programming, services and equipment they are getting.

In that call we flly disclose this will require a 24-month agreement for basic programming. We do not schedule the appointment unless they agree to it over the phone. When the install takes place they are not only agreeing to the work being completed and in working order, it's to finalise the verbal agreement to the 24-month commitment.

yes but also I have had them change things after a verbal commitment and only find out just before I sign. I had been misled on a few things when I called in that I specifically asked about and I almost did not sign the paper and was really close to just telling them to take it all back. I have had that kind of stuff happen with a lot of companies and was pretty much at the end of what I was willing to go through again.
Truffleshuffle03

Postby Chadt4141 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:10 pm

Since all of Dish's contracts are 2 years or more, there is no such thing as a verbal contract that is enforceable. For a verbal contract to be enforceable, it must be able to be completed in 365 consecutive days or less. Dish does not have any 1 year agreements.
I do not work for DISH, and all posts are made based on experience. EMPLOYEEs names only show in GREEN.
PM a mod for account specific answers.
Your friendly everyday guy, I AM CHAD!
Chadt4141

Return to DISH Movie Pack