Hopper 3 randomly freezing and/or rebooting

Have questions about our new Whole-Home DVR service? Find answers to your Hopper and Joey questions here.

Re: Hopper 3 randomly freezing and/or rebooting

Postby JSracer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:00 am

Does the H3 diagnostics screen show anything interesting for you ??
menu, settings, diagnostics
JSracer

Postby daveirwin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:23 am

All good, no issues found
daveirwin

Postby Mcomeau334 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:08 am

We've been having the same problem. Randomly, the screen goes black for about a minute and a half, and then reboots. And then that usually will happen at least two or three times right in a row. We just installed a new box, and within two hours it was doing the same thing.

Has anyone checked her Signal strengths? About the only thing that I noticed during the set up of the new box was that one of the satellite signal strength was at around 60%.

My box is in a very well ventilated area, so I don't believe it is an overheating problem.

I'll try to swap out my HDMI cable's, and see if maybe I can tweak the dishes little bit to get a better signal strength. I wouldn't think the signal strength would make it reboot the way it is, but I really just don't know.

Obviously, this seems like a common problem, and that is very frustrating especially when you're doing recordings. And didn't do this for about a year. It just randomly started doing it, and now that's that. If I come up with a solution, I will gladly post it.
Mcomeau334

Postby e38BimmerFN » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Is your Hopper connected to any internet services via main host router or ISP modem?
I use this configuration and don't see any freezing or auto reboot:
https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18366&start=10#p107624
e38BimmerFN

Postby daveirwin » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Mcomeau334 wrote:We've been having the same problem. Randomly, the screen goes black for about a minute and a half, and then reboots. And then that usually will happen at least two or three times right in a row. We just installed a new box, and within two hours it was doing the same thing.

Has anyone checked her Signal strengths? About the only thing that I noticed during the set up of the new box was that one of the satellite signal strength was at around 60%.

My box is in a very well ventilated area, so I don't believe it is an overheating problem.

I'll try to swap out my HDMI cable's, and see if maybe I can tweak the dishes little bit to get a better signal strength. I wouldn't think the signal strength would make it reboot the way it is, but I really just don't know.

Obviously, this seems like a common problem, and that is very frustrating especially when you're doing recordings. And didn't do this for about a year. It just randomly started doing it, and now that's that. If I come up with a solution, I will gladly post it.

Are you noticing it rebooting on certain channels? I have noticed it only reboots on channels in the 100's range, never on local channels or pay.

Did you transfer recordings to new unit from the old?

Did you transfer preferences via remote control transfer to the new unit from the old?
daveirwin

Postby fdlrebecca » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:22 pm

I am on receiver number 3 and this continues to happen daily. receiver boots up, tv for about 3 seconds to 1 minute and the Hopper 3 reboots over and over and over again. Four months of this issue and NO FIX. I'm so frustrated.
fdlrebecca

Postby KatyC » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:50 pm

We would need you to do a partial reset of your Hopper 3. With your DISH remote, press Menu, in the Diagnostic screen select Tools, then select Reset Factory Default, and select partial reset. This will take 20 minutes to one hour.
KatyC

Postby fdlrebecca » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:27 am

I was informed yesterday that having the closed captions set to large may cause the Hopper to reboot over and over again. Oddly enough when you go to live chat with this problem this is not one of the questions they ask in trouble shooting, but was told to me when I mentioned I was deaf and couldn't call the support line. Will see if it works. Bugs like this that are known bugs yet not told to customers or fixed after months is crazy. But hopefully it helps someone else out there with this problem and goodness I hope it stops my Hopper from getting stuck in that ridiculous reboot loop.
fdlrebecca

Postby e38BimmerFN » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Doing a factory reset may clear this issue for some users since a reset would clear any closed captions configurations done by users. Issue may not be a seen as much with closed captions depending on how many users use this feature. Other issues may cause random hangs and freezing.

Good information for users to try though. ;)
e38BimmerFN

Postby The4Car » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 pm

same issue, started a few days ago. At the time of the black screen we will have all other boxes drop out instantly. Called Tech Support and they had me turn off the auto shutdown feature. Within 5 minutes of that call we had the black screen ... I have not called back since. Anyone have this issue resolved? So far it seems nobody on here had a resolution except for 1 person that said it just fixed itself one day ...
The4Car

PreviousNext

Return to Hopper and Joey