Using Dish via an Onkyo remote control

Welcome to the DISH Family! Please use this forum to get any help you might need with your new DISH service.

Using Dish via an Onkyo remote control

Postby moodyblue » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:10 am

Hi, I have a new Onkyo receiver and I have everything (including Dish) running thru it to the TV. I want to control my Dish receiver (VIP612 ) via my Onkyo remote but I can't find the correct Dish code to accomplish this. Help!
moodyblue

Re: Using Dish via an Onkyo remote control

Postby Chadt4141 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:57 am

If set for universal mode, it would need to be set at address 1.
I do not work for DISH, and all posts are made based on experience. EMPLOYEEs names only show in GREEN.
PM a mod for account specific answers.
Your friendly everyday guy, I AM CHAD!
Chadt4141

Postby moodyblue » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:21 am

Actually, I need the 5 numeric digit code for my Dish receiver VIP612. Again, I want to program my Onkyo remote to control my VIP612.
moodyblue

Postby Chadt4141 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:36 am

There is not a 5 digit code. For universal remotes, the address has to be 1. If that is not an option, then it may not be compatible.
I do not work for DISH, and all posts are made based on experience. EMPLOYEEs names only show in GREEN.
Chadt4141

Postby moodyblue » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Well, there is a 5-digit code because I have programmed my other devices that way.

I think I am not being understood. Let me try again ....
I want to use my Onkyo remote control to turn my Dish VIP612 on/off, and also to use the other Dish functions.
(Oh, my Onkyo remote belongs to my Onkyo receiver; it is not a universal remote. I probably should've explained what Onkyo is--sorry.)

So, I must follow the steps from Onkyo has to how to program their remote to control other devices. They, Onkyo, have a list of 5 digit codes that are meant to be for DIsh/Echostar. However, none of the their listed codes work with my VIP612. So since my Onkyo receiver is supposed to be able to control a Dish receiver, I'm looking for the 5-digit code that will control my VIP612.

For example, I input a 5 digit code in my Onkyo remote and now I can use it (the Onkyo remote) to control my Samsung DVD player.
And, I input a 5 digit code in my Onkyo remote and now I can use it (the Onkyo remote) to control my LG TV.
And so on.
Now, I just need my VIP612's 5 digit code.
moodyblue

Postby Chadt4141 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:20 pm

I understand what you are saying, but it is not something supported by Dish. Dish uses a one digit code, so the other 4 would need to be from Onyko. I am familiar with Onyko, and a universal remote is one that will control multiple devices. Have you checked your Dish receiver that it is set for the code entree of 1 on the system UFO screen?
Chadt4141

Return to Getting Started with DISH