Using Dish via an Onkyo remote control

Browse our remote control threads to find an answer to your remote questions.

Using Dish via an Onkyo remote control

Postby moodyblue » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:10 am

Hi, I have a new Onkyo receiver and I have everything (including Dish) running thru it to the TV. I want to control my Dish receiver (VIP612 ) via my Onkyo remote but I can't find the correct Dish code to accomplish this. Help!
moodyblue

Re: Using Dish via an Onkyo remote control

Postby Chadt4141 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:57 am

If set for universal mode, it would need to be set at address 1.
I do not work for DISH, and all posts are made based on experience. EMPLOYEEs names only show in GREEN.
PM a mod for account specific answers.
Your friendly everyday guy, I AM CHAD!
Chadt4141

Postby moodyblue » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:21 am

Actually, I need the 5 numeric digit code for my Dish receiver VIP612. Again, I want to program my Onkyo remote to control my VIP612.
moodyblue

Postby Chadt4141 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:36 am

There is not a 5 digit code. For universal remotes, the address has to be 1. If that is not an option, then it may not be compatible.
I do not work for DISH, and all posts are made based on experience. EMPLOYEEs names only show in GREEN.
Chadt4141

Postby moodyblue » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Well, there is a 5-digit code because I have programmed my other devices that way.

I think I am not being understood. Let me try again ....
I want to use my Onkyo remote control to turn my Dish VIP612 on/off, and also to use the other Dish functions.
(Oh, my Onkyo remote belongs to my Onkyo receiver; it is not a universal remote. I probably should've explained what Onkyo is--sorry.)

So, I must follow the steps from Onkyo has to how to program their remote to control other devices. They, Onkyo, have a list of 5 digit codes that are meant to be for DIsh/Echostar. However, none of the their listed codes work with my VIP612. So since my Onkyo receiver is supposed to be able to control a Dish receiver, I'm looking for the 5-digit code that will control my VIP612.

For example, I input a 5 digit code in my Onkyo remote and now I can use it (the Onkyo remote) to control my Samsung DVD player.
And, I input a 5 digit code in my Onkyo remote and now I can use it (the Onkyo remote) to control my LG TV.
And so on.
Now, I just need my VIP612's 5 digit code.
moodyblue

Postby Chadt4141 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:20 pm

I understand what you are saying, but it is not something supported by Dish. Dish uses a one digit code, so the other 4 would need to be from Onyko. I am familiar with Onyko, and a universal remote is one that will control multiple devices. Have you checked your Dish receiver that it is set for the code entree of 1 on the system UFO screen?
Chadt4141

Return to DISH Remote Control Support