Old Equipment and High Prices

Check back here for all of your non-technical DISH customer service needs.

Old Equipment and High Prices

Postby Wolfraven » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:03 am

So I have been with Dish now for many years and all I get for this is Old out dated equipment ( that I still pay almost $15 each month) and a huge bill. At this point after reducing our service twice to manage the bill Im ready to just chuck the whole deal and use another service..
At $15 a month this agged equipment has probably been paid for 10 x over. You would think to keaep older customers Dish would offer them some incentives. You have nothing for us just a $15 equipment charge and a $9 protection plan that never gets used.
What a Scam.... :shock:
Wolfraven

Re: Old Equipment and High Prices

Postby Chadt4141 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:51 am

You can remove the protection plan and save that money. The equipment fees are active outlet fees. Those are not lease fees.
I do not work for DISH, and all posts are made based on experience. EMPLOYEEs names only show in GREEN.
PM a mod for account specific answers.
Your friendly everyday guy, I AM CHAD!
Chadt4141

Postby peggyrh » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:22 pm

You can contact Dish at any time to see if they can lower your fees, upgrade your equipment, etc.
You make your own choice as to equipment & plan, & things can be changed if you want to lower your bill.
peggyrh

Postby Wolfraven » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:37 am

Ha I have changed things to lower my bill.... Nice PSA Btw.... But here is where I'm at with Dish, been a paying customer for over 7 years and still have a crap price and old equipment. I guess you didn't get why I posted here? Well its because I work nights and don't have time to be on the phone all day with Dish for something they should be offering me any how.

So yes I posted here hoping for someone that works for Dish to start a conversation. Thanks Chad I took off the protection plan and will look into dropping one box since it is never used. Peggy thats a nice PSA for Dish but if I hadn't done most of it I wouldn't be here...
Wolfraven

Postby peggyrh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:46 am

There might be a way to lower your bill (unless you choose to have sports which costs more) - contact one of the Dish reps (names in Green) by PM, don't bother with calling. Dish won't offer, you have to ask - they've posted here several times that they will check your account for discounts if you contact them.
When I switched to Flex last year my bill dropped by a substantial amount, all depends on what channels are most important to you.
peggyrh

Postby ErikaP » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:38 am

Can you send us PM with your account/phone number and 4 digit PIN?
ErikaP
Social Media Representative
Wednesday-Saturday 6am to 5pm (MST)
ErikaP

Postby Rustydj1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:20 pm

We are in the same situation here. I've calculated that we've paid over $10,000 to DISH since we enrolled nearly 10 years ago. Sadly our bill has increased by $40 per month over that time, and we still have the same equipment from way back then. I see new promotions with my tv package and new equipment and free items and think, "Why do I have to call and wait forever to beg a rep, that doesn't really care if I leave or not, to upgrade my stuff or try to make account changes to bring my bill back down when I've been a loyal and trouble free customer for a decade?" Why shouldn't I just go to the competitor for their introductory rates? Is this really what these companies want us to do every two years?
Rustydj1

Postby Chadt4141 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:21 am

Rustydj1 wrote:We are in the same situation here. I've calculated that we've paid over $10,000 to DISH since we enrolled nearly 10 years ago. Sadly our bill has increased by $40 per month over that time, and we still have the same equipment from way back then. I see new promotions with my tv package and new equipment and free items and think, "Why do I have to call and wait forever to beg a rep, that doesn't really care if I leave or not, to upgrade my stuff or try to make account changes to bring my bill back down when I've been a loyal and trouble free customer for a decade?" Why shouldn't I just go to the competitor for their introductory rates? Is this really what these companies want us to do every two years?

Or you can PM a rep here, say that you want the existing customer promotion, and discuss what an upgrade would look like.
I do not work for DISH, and all posts are made based on experience. EMPLOYEEs names only show in GREEN.
PM a mod for account specific answers.
Your friendly everyday guy, I AM CHAD!
Chadt4141

Postby Wolfraven » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:35 am

And you get the same thing here... Oh if you drop more channels you can lower your bill.. Really if I drop more channels then your service becomes useless to me. Why not drop all the crappy channels I don't want like sports, music, on demand ( because we all know Netflix and other streaming services have you beat there) , etc. Coming here is just the same as calling but I didn't have to spend a hour on the phone to get the same old lines.

You would really think they would value long term subscribers that have paid thousands of dollars into their service over the years. This just makes everyone want to be shady and jump services every two years, Just to have that low price. When I left the other company ( you all know the one) they were so willing to try and keep me thay offered to drop my bill to the $29 a month new people were getting. I guess its time to switch again.
Wolfraven

Postby hddn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 am

All the pay TV providers and ISPs that I know of like to dangle low price deals that are only for new customers. If you're always comparing your price (and equipment I guess?) to what other people get, then you'll probably be motivated to jump around a lot. Companies do this because most people have enough inertia that they can give newbies the big discounts, and still retain them for a long (enough) time at profitable prices.

Cable/Sat TV appears to be a mature to declining industry where the new customers are another company's old customers and it takes a deal to get them to move. And I get the impression that Dish is getting "better" (from their viewpoint) at detecting people who just call and say they are going to leave to get a discount. It may be better for them to actually make them prove it so they don't have to give discounts to people who don't really want to leave. When I look, Dish's profitability doesn't look that high to me, so just doing something like: dropping prices by (let's say) 20% across the board to make old customers happy doesn't look feasible to me. Besides, in a few years, you'd be complaining that the 20% discount disappeared anyway because all the content providers want more money every year and Dish's customers throw a fit every time Dish plays hardball and refuses to take their first offer causing them to be off Dish for a few weeks. :)
hddn

Return to Customer Service